Thursday, April 21, 2011

Melinda: The Unnamed, Unfinished Story (Part 2)

Part two. Sorry again for the no-show last week, I'm being bombed with tests. :P Anyway, enjoy!


“That’s just it! There is no cost! The only thing you have to pay for is food, but the first day, it’s all free, if you stay for more than one night. What do you think?” said the woman, without a pause for breath in between sentences.

“Um, okay. I don’t really have any stuff and I don’t know how long I’ll stay here, so…”

“Why don’t you just come in? I’m Molly, by the way, and if you just follow me, I can show you your room.” The inside of the house was even more depressing than the out; the walls were covered in peeling floral wallpaper that had faded quite some bit, the mud-brown carpet was unappealing and gave off a damp and musty smell, and the ceiling was dripping yellow water into buckets that were placed variously throughout the narrow hall. Nevertheless, Molly seemed very enthusiastic about it all. She led Carla into a small room.

“Well, here you are! Do you like it?” asked Molly. She looked as though she had been perfecting those lines for quite some time.

Carla inspected the room. It was different then what you might expect. Unlike the rest of the house, the room was very bright and cheerful. Paintings of various landscapes and foliage covered the romantic red walls, which had been freshly painted. Two twin beds had been pushed together to create a queen bed, and the mahogany pillows on the chestnut brown comforter were extraordinarily inviting.

“It’s great. I love it.”
“I thought you would. The bathroom is two doors to your left and I’m across from the bathroom. I’ll leave you to settle in,” said Molly. She gave a friendly smile and then left the room. Carla, unsure what to do, took her shoes off and sat on the bed. She looked around at all of the beautiful paintings. She took time to look at each and every one, and forgot about the car accident she had come across just hours before.

Carla was in deep thought when a call telling her dinner was ready interrupted her. She made her way to the kitchen, avoiding the water buckets in the hall. The kitchen was very dingy, which came as no surprise to Carla. She was expecting worse, in fact, so the small diner booth style table looked very pleasant.

“Tonight we’ll be having spaghetti. Is that okay with you?” Molly asked, with a warming smile. Truthfully, Carla didn’t care for spaghetti, but she would rather not upset Molly.

“Oh, yeah, that’s, um, I mean, I really like spaghetti,” Carla choked out. She helped herself to a plate of it and sat down on a stool. Feeling nervous, she waited for Molly to sit down before she took a bite. Once they were both seated, Carla shoved her fork into her spaghetti and gulped down a large mouthful.

“I terribly sorry, but I don’t believe you’ve mentioned your name,” Molly said very politely, which made Carla feel guilty.

“Oh, I’m Carla. Jenson. Carla Jenson.”

“Well hello, Carla. You already know who I am, but this is Percy.” She pointed to the chair next to her. Carla craned her neck only to find a small cat sitting on the chair. He gave a soft meow, as if saying hello. Carla reached down to pet the cat.

“He’s cute,” Carla said, unsure what else to say. He was a very handsome cat indeed; his ginger fur floated carelessly on his sleek body, his eyes were a light shade of green, and his ivory white whiskers were symmetrically placed next to his mouth.

“He was Desmond’s cat, but I took care of Percy once he… left,” Molly said uneasily. The fork she had been holding dropped out of her hand and clattered on the tiled floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment